Kassen is a small town nestled within the Fangwood along the River Sein. Two hundred years ago, shortly after its founding, the town was attacked by a bunch of marauders and thieves let by Asar Vergas. Ekat Kassen, the town’s founder, led its citizens to victory, only to succumb to his wounds a few days later.
Victims of both sides of the battle, including Ekat and Asar, were buried in the memorial Crypt of the Everflame two days travel from the town where an eternal flame was lit in memory of the greatness of its founder.
Kassen is ruled by Mayor Uptal, a fair, but mildly grim man. While most of the “townsfolk” actually live in small homes or camps in the woods and fields surrounding Kassen proper, the town is quite tight knit. As with most of the folk in the Fangwood Vale, they stand up for one another and refuse to be pushed around.
Places in Kassen
The following are some of the more important buildings in Kassen.
1. Seven Silvers: Most visitors to Kassen end up at this comfortable two-story inn and tavern. Run by Trelvar Silvers, this inn features modest prices (4 sp/night), decent food (3 sp/day), and a lively taproom. Trelvar is assisted by his daughter, Asina, and the overly friendly Jimes “Short Change” Iggins, who is known for giving himself generous tips.
2. Greathall: Typically used for meetings, weddings, and other celebrations, the Greathall is a tall, three-story wooden structure near the center of town. Inside is one grand space with a number of smaller rooms on each floor. The celebration for the successful heroes occurs here upon their return.
3. Woodcutter’s Guildhall: Kassen’s primary export is lumber taken from the surrounding Fangwood. While many of these logs are taken right down the River Sein to Lake Ashlar, the woodcutters require that all logs bear the stamp of the guildhall, which of course requires a small fee. As a result, the woodcutter’s guild is one of the more powerful groups in town, under the firm hand of the ever-opportunistic Colbin Vetnar.
4. Temple of Erastil: The only stone building in town is home to Kassen’s only temple. While the church is officially dedicated to Erastil, there are a number of faiths practiced here, including Desna, Gorum, Shelyn, and Torag. Father Prasst is the only priest, but most in town refer to him as the “High Priest.”
5. Town Watch Headquarters: Guard Captain Wisslo spends most of his time in this building or patrolling the streets of Kassen. While the guardsmen are mostly relaxed in their duties, they become an effective force if there is trouble in town.
6. Renet’s Steel: While Renet’s shop services much of the town’s needs when it comes to metalworks, his quality is nowhere near that of Braggar’s. Most metal items can be found here for the standard prices, but there are no masterwork items to be found at Renet’s Steel.
7. Arnama’s Home: This is the home of Arnama Lastrid, one of the few rangers who lives in Kassen. Mayor Uptal, who trusts the ranger’s instincts implicitly, frequently calls Arnama to the town council to report and advise.
8. Sir Dramott’s Home: This is the home of Sir Dramott, a knight from the Empire who keeps watch on the town.
9. Braggar’s Shop: This is the workshop and home of Braggar Ironhame, a dwarven blacksmith. Braggar’s works exceed those of Renet’s Steel, but he works much slower and charges a higher price. Braggar can forge nearly any masterwork metal tool, weapon, or armor.
10. Vargidan Estate: This is the home of the eccentric Vargidan family, and has a bit of a spooky reputation in town.
11. Holgast’s Tower: Holgast’s slightly crooked tower stands at the edge of town.
12. Mayor Uptal’s Home: This modest building along the water is the home of Mayor Uptal, who can frequently be found in the Greathall holding meetings or on his small boat in the river, fishing.
13. Ilimara’s Home: This is the home of Ilimara Oniri, the mysterious woman from the far reach of the Empire.